Sunday 23 August 2015

Barcelona to Paris - 3 August. Maverick scribed by John

Skwaark! I can't believe it's time to get up already. I've been getting into this Mediterranean relaxed way of life and suddenly it's 8am and we're on a bus to the airport. Heading to France and I'm a bit worried because I've heard that they eat anything there, even sparrows, so I'll lie low once we get there just in case. Barcelona airport is huge! I was worried the plane would have to refuel before we found the runway or that it was just going to drive along the ground to France because it was an Easyjet flight and I remember seeing on the TV that they don't take off sometimes. Anyway, the pilot eventually found the runway and when we landed in France, we saw an old plane called Concord on display. It had a very pointy beak and you could see why it flew so fast. Quite the opposite to a Kakapo. When we get off Le Metro, as the underground trains are called here, we are by a street that has at least 20 hairdressers all in a row. We walk past them to our apartment and they all have people standing outside vying for customers. I ignore the suggestions that my feathers need a trim and can't help wondering why you would open a hairdresser shop next door to 10 others! Our apartment is up four flights of stairs, but has a wonderful circular handrail so I can hop up and slide back down easily. The floor is very creaky, the apartment full of stuff, has a very tiny kitchen and a cat flap in the toilet door. Apparently this is what "bijou" means. Hmmm. At least I found the cat flap handy! It's been a long day, so we have a quiet afternoon looking out over the busy streets, have healthy salads for dinner and then very unhealthy but wonderful pastries from Monsieur Le Patissiere for pudding. Oh la la! Much better than bird seed. I think France might not be to bad after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment