Monday 15 June 2015

Maverick the Kakapo takes flight for the very first time - 13 June

Flight No.1, Australia -  Lucy scribing for Maverick

Squaaaawk! It's me, Maverick the kakapo reporting on the flight to Australia! I was quite thrilled I was flying for the first time, because if you have brain, you would know that kakapo are flightless birds and being one of the lucky kakapos to be able to fly is quite an ecstatic thought. We are
waiting at the Queenstown airport and there is quite a lot of time before takeoff. The family decided
to go to the cafe to eat. (I couldn't eat any of the food because I can only eat the berries of certain plants, it's quite inconvenient.) Sam, being clumsy and silly as usual, knocked his water all over James's trousers. I, and everyone else thought that James looked hilarious, though John was grumpy at Sam for spilling the water AND forgetting his phone. After having the food, they went off to look at some shops. The kids went to the remarkable sweet shop OBVIOUSLY! (They didn't
even give me some sweets.) Sam was nice enough to donate a Wham! bar to Lucy, she was looking at some other sweets when she got attacked from behind. Her best friend, (though in my opinion she is far to loud and energetic) Renee, and Lucy's other good friend Mikayla had come to pick up their Aunty and happened to be in the sweet shop. (I personally love sweet shops and have realised by now that they are kid magnets.)

After the visit to the sweet shop Lucy said goodbye to Renee and Mikayla and went back to the cafe table. Toni went with the kids and said they could get something. James got some chewy gumball things and Lucy got a bubble gum birds egg. Luckily, it was made of bubblegum and wasn't an actual birds egg. (Or even worse, a kakapo egg.) Lucy got the sour ball out of the middle of the egg and gave it to James. The effect was immediate. James's face made weird and interesting shapes. At one point his face looked like a very very old man's face and not his own face. By then it was time to go into the terminal.

After going through customs, the family did some shopping, buying everything from headphones to delicious lion bar bites. Finally, it was time to board the plane.

It seems that unfortunately, I had to stay in my bag (which I thought was inconvenient because kakapos need their space.) and couldn't have a go on those weird interactive touch-screen TVs on the back of the seats that my family were using. They were so into whatever that were doing, you could set a firework above them and they wouldn't even blink, apart from when they needed to blink. The flight service people gave everyone a choice of food: chicken salad, fish and the most preferred, beef pie. They were served in plastic containers that looked like they contained space food, but this was plane food so it wasn't far off from that. Apart from that, the food didn't look to bad, even though the mashed potato was orange and the greens were floppy and not a rich green colour like my glorious plumage. I am also intrigued by how they magically conjuncture up food from behind the curtain at the end of the plane. For a short part of the way, James had enough brains to take a time-lapse of the flight, but not to remove enough apps and photos to store it. After the main course the air flight people magicked up some tea, coffee and softdrinks. That magic must be pretty powerful because they made some really good chocolateappear. ( Or so I'm told because they didn't consider giving me some.)

After two and at half hours of sitting and pondering about how the air flight people magicked up food and how those weird TV things worked we finally landed at Sydney in Australia. I was feeling tired from the flight and it was a great comfort when Lucy cuddled me when we were driving to Bruno's house. Oh! I forgot, you don't know who Bruno is. Bruno Bouchet is an amazing writer who wrote the book "Lab Rats".  Though, I have to be a good kakapo because professor Xanax might give me ugly human arms or do something even worse! Check it out here

http://brunobouchet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Lab-Rats-in-Space.mp3

Apart from this I quickly realised that there was another risk, Blix! Blix is a fluffy, curly, kakapo destroyer (more commonly known as a soft coated wheaten terrier or a dog), so, while I am telling Lucy this story to write down, (if you had a small brain you would know that kakapos have claws which are terrible for iPad screens.) I am hiding in my bag hoping Blix can't find me. Oh well, I guess that's all for now, so I'll see you next time you read a blog. Squawk!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like Maverick the Kakapo is having a wonderful adventure already. Let's hope he makes it round the rest of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squwaakwaak! Squawk, squwaak squeee ... Krrrrerip krrrerip krrrerip kwitt Bali?
    Squiz kershooooe krrrerip ����
    Squwaakeroo ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great having you stay, Maverick. Looking forward to reading the rest of your adventures

    ReplyDelete