Monday 13 July 2015

Royal Palace Cruise Halong Bay 11 July - Maverick scribed by Toni

Now if you are going just 150 kilometres one might expect that if you leave at 7:30 a.m. one would expect to arrive in a couple of hours, though this is Vietnam.
We woke to pouring rain and a more relaxing 27 degree temperature.  I made sure I was up as by now, I am thoroughly used to this wonderful French bread and bits of Strawberry jam that Lucy sneaks to me under the table.  I am going to need lots of encouragement as Kakapos may not fly, though going on a boat is even more foreign to my Ultra Ancient feathers.

After breakfast a taxi takes us all to the office of Royal Palace Cruises and we are sent straight onto the bus at 7:50 am so we can collect up the other guests who are off cruising with us in Halong Bay.  For an hour we cruise the streets of the Old Quarter in the pouring rain collecting bedraggled tourists running or sporting umbrellas trying to make it from their hotels to the bus without getting wet.  After about an hour we are finally heading to Halong to board our bus.  By about 10 a.m. having been on the bus for 2 hours and having been given water, poor little Sammy is desperate for a wee and had to wait another 40 minutes.  

We stopped at a horrid big tourist shop so that those who hadn't been to the markets could buy lots of things at ridiculously inflated prices filling the coffers of the corrupt rich whilst leaving the locals working long hours in virtual poverty.
Another two hours and we finally arrive at Port.  Port chaos ensues! Line up!, follow the guide, don’t stray! Must do this, cannot do that! – 5 hours after the horrid drive with scratchy kids, getting on a little boat we wonder what we have let ourselves in for. Needles to say there wasn't a lifejacket for me and the guide expects me to fly if I get in to trouble, Oh well, hopefully we won't capsize.  Now the family soon realise that "This is not Read Journeys!  The thing that is keeping me going is that it should be good as there are really good Trip Advisor reviews.  Just for the records I am not only highly opinionated, I am very well read and I always do my research.

Finally at the boat, we are given our keys and a refreshing towel and we eventually eat lunch at 2:00 p.m.  Lots of veges for me and all sorts of seafood and things for the family.  With food finally in them moods improve and the children are ready for kayaking.

Sam and Toni head out in one kayak whilst Lucy and James head out in another and John accompanies a young Israeli boy away with his parents. Being on a kayak is heavenly I can see out of the front over Sammy's splashing paddles and we head towards caves, past floating villages and towering limestone cliffs.  I have to say this is parrot awe!

The kids are hanging out for a swim and as soon as we get back to the boat, they are allowed to swim and jump off the boat.  Bombs and dives ensue and a refreshing swim is had by all

After showers it is again time for getting to know everyone prior to dinner.  We are all summoned to the sunset drink to welcome everyone.  We meet a lot of people and we find we have the United Nations of boats, Jake and Keri from Australia, Julie and Graham (English) from France another couple from France, Jamie and Ahmed from London, Phil from South Africa and his girlfriend  Cristina from Spain, Marion and Paul from Ireland, Kim and her family from America (Vietnamese) and a family from Israel.  OK – no South Americans though plenty of variety.

After dinner we are promised karaoke and partying and we all sigh with loathing.  Dinner is delicious though everyone is so tired, that the rooms beckon and very quickly everyone is asleep.

As a Kakapo inauguration into boating, I have to say, that whereas I can never see  myself as a pirates parrot, I could definitely welcome the odd salty excursion.  Night night everyone – I am off in search of the local delicacy for parrots of crunchy cockroaches.  Sleep tight.




No comments:

Post a Comment